Where to dine for Valentine’s Day on the Hammock Coast? Here are 10 options
We all enjoy a casual meal with the family, telling jokes and reliving old memories but Valentine’s Day isn’t the time for a good burger or a chicken tender platter. On this special day, you and your favorite romantic partner want to enjoy a nice meal, a little ambiance, and some quiet time together.
Fortunately, South Carolina’s Hammock Coast® is the ideal place for a romantic dinner. Comprised of the beach communities of Murrells Inlet, Litchfield, Pawleys Island, DeBordieu Colony and southern Garden City, as well as historic Georgetown, the Hammock Coast is home to some of the Palmetto State’s finest cuisine.
If you are looking for a dining experience this Valentine’s Day, here are 10 restaurants on the Hammock Coast where delicious cuisine pairs nicely with a romantic evening:
● With its Mediterranean-inspired menu and local art adorning the walls, Perrone’s is a Valentine’s Day favorite. Located in the Litchfield Beach community of Pawleys Island, Perrone’s always evolving menu features locally sourced ingredients and proteins that are hormone and antibiotic free. The eclectic offerings are the perfect complement to the setting, and the elk tenderloin, cooked sous vide to medium rare, comes highly recommended, as do the craft cocktails.
Call 843-235-9193 or click here to visit Perrone’s website.
● White-linen tablecloths and candlelight set the mood for a meal at Frank’s, a Pawleys Island institution since 1988. Everything is outstanding, including the duck two ways: pan-roasted breast and house-made confit in red wine demi over a grit cake. Appetizers include the delectable fried deviled eggs, homemade cheese biscuits with fried chicken, ahi tuna poke, and, of course, fried oysters, among other items. Reservations are highly recommended. In fact, you’re probably not getting in without one.
Call 843-237-3030 or click here to visit Frank’s website.
● Bistro 217 is another Pawleys Island favorite. Owner Adam Kirby has been selected as one of South Carolina’s “Chef Ambassadors,” an acknowledgement of the quality of his work at Bistro. The whole fried snapper appetizer is a house favorite and the local, Cornmeal-encrusted Flounder, served with Pepper Jack Cheese Grits, Crawfish Creole and fried okra, is a personal favorite. And don’t leave without one of Bistro’s signature or daily-special desserts. Reservations are recommended. Watch Kirby talk about dining on the Hammock in this video from Our State magazine.
Call 843-235-8217 or click here to visit Bistro 217’s website.
● Overlooking the Sampit River along Georgetown’s historic waterfront, the River Room has long been a coastal tradition. River Room opened in 1984 and once you have the McClellanville Crab Cakes or the local grouper, you will immediately understand why it has been open for nearly 40 years. Select wines and cocktails round out a delightful meal for your special romantic evening.
Call 843-527-4110 or click here to visit the River Room’s website.
● If you want outstanding Italian food, Costa in Murrells Inlet has to be near the top of the list. The dimly lit dining room accentuates beautiful woodwork, setting the stage for an evening that’s one part dinner, one part experience. Seafood, steaks, pasta, it’s all good at Costa, and the extensive wine and specialty cocktails only add to the experience.
Call 843-200-1970 or click here to visit the Costa website.
● There are few more romantic ways to spend an evening than enjoying a great meal overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, which is what brings so many couples to Austin’s Ocean One, located on South Litchfield Beach. On a menu with seemingly endless options, the “Ring of Fire” Pan-seared Scallops and Shrimp, served with Shiitake fried rice, coconut, basil, spinach and sriracha, is a standout.
Call 843-235-8700 or click here to visit the Austin’s Ocean One website.
● The Claw House, a New England-style lobster house located along the famed Murrells Inlet MarshWalk, also offers stunning views and a raw bar. The focal point of many meals is the whole live lobster, but the seasonal oysters on the ½ shell are a close second. Lobster and Valentine’s Day? Yes, please!
Call 843-651-4415 or click here to visit The Claw House website.
● The view from Gulfstream Café overlooking Murrells Inlet is arguably the area’s most stunning. The sun setting over the marsh is unforgettable and overlooking the Atlantic Ocean is certainly breathtaking, and we haven’t even started talking about the food. The menu is loaded with fresh seafood specials, including seasonal oysters. If Feb. 14 won’t work for you, Gulfstream, located on the southern tip of Garden City, is also offering a special “Eat-Your-Heart-Out” Valentine’s Weekend Brunch on Sunday, Feb. 13, beginning at 10 a.m. The brunch will include: a Slow-Roasted Prime Rib Carving Station, as well as Smoked Salmon with Capers, Chilled Shrimp, Fried Cod, Mussels in Garlic Cream Sauce over Linguine, Marinated Chicken, Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, French Toast, Cheese Grits, Assorted mini Muffins, Caesar Salad, Bruschetta, Mixed Fruit with Vanilla-honey Yogurt, Hush Puppies, Hash Browns, Green Beans and also a build-your-own omelet station. Reservations are recommended.
Call 843-651-8808 or click here to visit Gulfstream’s website.
● Serving Lowcountry specialties is a family tradition at Hanser House, located in the Litchfield community of Pawleys Island. Fresh local seafood and hand-cut steaks are a winning combination for nearly every couple. The Hanser House She Crab Soup is the perfect way to start an evening that includes the shrimp and grit entree and a homemade Brownie a la Mode dessert (always say yes to chocolate on Valentine’s Day!).
Call 843-235-3021 or click here to visit the Hanser House website.
● Another member restaurant on Murrells Inlet’s MarshWalk, Bovine’s delights locals and visitors alike with wood-fired specialties that include steak and fresh, local seafood. The waterfront views set the tone for a memorable evening that is highlighted by the 8-ounce filet. And appetizers like the coconut shrimp and the loaded mac-and-cheese balls will start the evening out perfectly.
Call 843-651-2888 or click here to visit Bovine’s website.
The options for a romantic meal along the Hammock Coast, one of South Carolina’s culinary hotspots, doesn’t end with these 10 restaurants, but they are a great place to start. Cheers to love this Valentine’s Day!
By Chris King and Mark A. Stevens / Georgetown County Chamber of Commerce and South Carolina’s Hammock Coast®