PAWLEYS ISLAND / LITCHFIELD
These “arrogantly shabby” beaches have been welcoming folks since the 1700’s when the Plantation owners would move their families, livestock and workers over to the island to escape the mosquitoes. Renowned for its surf, the Litchfield Beaches and Pawleys Island offer miles of private, unspoiled, pristine coastline. Just a few miles south of the busy, tourist area of Myrtle Beach – families enjoy more laid back, timeless vacation activities like crabbing off the dock, shelling, biking, canoeing and kayaking through the salt marsh. Fish from the surf, the pier or the marsh bridges. And if award winning golf is more your scene, then you’ve found the perfect spot! Within a few miles of one another you’ll find some of the nation’s most awarded golf courses by top golf publications like Golf Digest and Golf Magazine.
While you’re visiting Litchfield Beach and Pawleys Island don’t miss:
1. A spa day at Stox & Company.
2. Dinner at Chive Blossom, Websters, Bistro 217, Nosh, Rozs, Quigleys Pint and Plate, and Sanfords Smokehouse, Pawleys Island Tavern, Island Bar & Grill, Island Deli, Franks, Grouchos Deli, Hanser House Seafood.
3. Slow down a few minutes and see the Historic homes and sites on Pawleys Island, including the Sea View Inn and the old Pawleys Island Chapel.
4. Take home unique treasures and gifts found at White Harvest, The Hammock Shops, the Sweetgrass Shops and the Shops at Christopher’s.
5. Take home a piece of unique art from Gray Man Gallery, Cheryl Newby Gallery, The Litchfield Exchange (art mall) or one of the many galleries found in Pawleys Island that feature one of kind treasures from local artists.
6. Visit the Hammock Shops and see for yourself the creation of an Original Pawleys Island Rope Hammock.
7. Litchfield Racquet Club is one of the many fine amenities at Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort, and was voted a “Top 50″ club in the U.S. by Tennis Magazine. 17 Har-Tru courts, 3 lighted for night play, allow players of all levels to come out for a match or join in scheduled round robins, clinics.
8. Stop in at Surf the Earth – The Island’s only complete Surf Shop offering Surfboards and Kayaks sales and rentals. Also available, surf lessons, kayak tours and free local delivery on rentals.
9. Great events, such as the Pawleys Island Festival of Music and Art in September and October each year, and the Pawleys Pavilion Reunion held Mother’s Day weekend each May.
10. Nature Watching – Litchfield Beach and Pawleys Island have several secluded spots, ideal for nature watchers including historic trails, tidal creeks and salt marshes.